Brown Buttered Popcorn Krispie Treats
Let’s just cut to the chase…these decadent morsels of delciousness are something from a dream. I sweet and salty, slathered with butter containing nutty notes of awesome dream!
Simply translated- DAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNGGGG!
Make these for your Super Bowl Party or for your co-workers or for yourself (no judgment) but whatever you do…make them right….NOW!
A treat as special as these deserve your best…what does that mean? It means that don’t for a second think of using instant microwave popcorn. It is no comparison as good old fashioned stove top popcorn. It just isn’t…end of story. Freshly popped popcorn is the key in achieving that light and salty taste as the base for the flavors we are trying to achieve here.
So roll up your sleeves, crank up your kitchen jams (I know I am not the only one who has them….right?) and get to popping!
Your popcorn will be snowy white and the smell is so fresh you can almost taste the air. LOVE THAT! Immediately pour into a bowl to prevent burning and sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt. Toss to make sure the popcorn is evenly coated with salt.
From your popcorn stash, scoop three cups worth into another large bowl…the remaining popcorn is what I like to call the “chef’s snack.” (Lucky You!) To that same bowl mix in four cups of crisp rice cereal. Toss together so they can get acquainted with one another. I like where this is going!
While our snack mix gets to know each other better, let’s make the glue that will hold this magical dream together. In the same pot used to pop the popcorn melt an entire stick of SALTED butter. Continue to cook the butter, while stirring often, until it begins to turn a golden brown color and smells nutty. This will take about 5 minutes or so.
Keep an eye on this step because once the browning process begins the burning point is close behind. No one likes burnt popcorn and NO ONE likes burnt butter! Once the butter is properly browned, take off the heat and stir in an entire bag of marshmallows. Continue to stir until the marshmallows have completely melted.
Pour the snack mix into the melted marshmallows and fold until everyone is coated evenly. Scoop into a greased 9×13 dish and press down until the mixture is evenly distributed into the pan. A little trick I like to use is take some wax paper sprayed lightly with oil and gently press, oil side down, until the entire mixture is spread out evenly in the pan. EASY PEEZY!
The final touch that makes all the difference is a light sprinkling of coarse sea salt over the surface of the krispie treats as they set. You cannot beat that salty sweet taste…it keeps people coming back for more!
Back in July when I made Smitten Kitchen’s Salted Brown Butter Krispie treats for Little Lew’s birthday I knew I struck gold! But I think I may have hit the mother load of flavor with this bad boy!
Salty, sweet, buttery, crispy…who could ask for more? Now excuse me while I take a moment and bask in the deliciousness before me again and again and again and a…..
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 4 cups Crisp Rice Cereal
- ½ cup (1 stick) Salted Butter
- 10 oz bag of large marshmallows
- Coarse Sea Salt
- In a heavy bottomed pot pour in the vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. Toss in a couple kernels to test the temperature of the oil. When they pop the pot is ready. Pour in the popcorn kernels and place a lid on the pot. Shake the pot often to prevent the popcorn from burning. The kernels should pop shortly. Once popped, immediately pour into a separate bowl and sprinkle with the kosher salt.
- In a large bowl combine the crisp rice cereal and three cups of the freshly popped popcorn. Set aside.
- In the same pot used to make popcorn melt the butter. Stirring often, continue to cook the butter until it turns a golden brown and has a nutty smell. Remove from the heat and add the entire bag of marshmallows to the pot. Stir constantly until the marshmallows are melted by the residual heat of the browned butter.
- Once the marshmallows are completely melted, fold the popcorn mix in till everything is completely covered. Scoop the mix into a greased 9x13 baking dish and press down so that the popcorn krispie treat is distributed evenly in the pan. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Allow to set for 1 hour and then slice into approximately 32 squares.