Bacon is delicious…said EVERYONE! I think I’ve had it in every form…ice cream, candied, covered in chocolate, infused in bourbon…my mom thinks I have a problem (Baconoholic anyone?).
I say, I have a passion and if loving bacon is wrong then I don’t want to be right! So today we are combining my passion with my favorite way to start the day…WAFFLES! Nooks and crannies of bacon studded, buttery goodness showered in a decadent layer of maple syrup…there’s no better way to start the day in my book!
Time to bring out the good stuff…
Butter is browned and thick cut (smoked) bacon is crisped in preparation for our waffle batter.
In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients and set aside. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, the cooled, brown butter and the piece de resistance…a tablespoon of reserved bacon fat- oh yes, we mean business!
Stir the liquid mixture into your dry ingredients and fold together until just combined. No overmixing in this house! Then crumble your crispy bacon over the batter and fold in gently till they are distributed evenly.
Ladle the bacon batter into a preheated waffle iron and waffle till you wobble or until your waffles are golden brown. PERFECTION!
Top off your breakfast with a slab of butter and the syrup of your choosing…as if these waffles weren’t decadent enough! They’re savory, sweet and just plain ridiculous!
Here’s a tip for fluffier waffles…make your waffle batter the night before and let it sit, covered in the fridge overnight. The next morning, fold in your crisped bacon and allow the batter to sit at room temperature while your waffle iron pre heats.
As the batter sits overnight it allows the dry ingredients to absorb completely into the liquid which will activate the leavening ingredients making it nice and fluffy! Seriously, I will never make waffles the same way again…you’re welcome!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 15 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and browned
- 4oz Bacon
- 1 tablespoon of reserved bacon fat
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and cook until it is well browned. This will take about 4 to 5 minutes. Once butter is browned, immediately remove from the saucepan and allow to cool in a small glass bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, render the bacon until crisp. Allow the crispy strips to drain on paper towels and reserve the fat. When it’s cool enough to handle, chop the bacon into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar until well combined. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract, brown butter, and 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat. Stir the wet ingredients till it becomes a well combined homogenous mixture.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the bite size bacon pieces until it is evenly distributed. Allow the waffle batter to rest for at least 30 minutes. This would be a great time to pre heat your waffle iron to a medium/medium high setting.
- When ready to make the waffles, pour about 1 cup of waffle batter into the waffle iron and smooth the batter before closing the iron. Cook the waffles until the steaming stops. Keep waffles warm in a 200 degree oven while you finish making the rest.
- **If you have a fancy shmancy waffle maker with various “set it and forget it” settings you could follow the manufacturer instructions in order to make the best waffles possible. Bon A petit!
Leave a Reply