Cranberry Orange Crumble Bars
Let’s be real ok…I listen to Christmas Music before Thanksgiving…sorry, NOT sorry!
I see your eye rolls and the hand print on your forehead thinking why oh WHY does she do this to herself. Really it’s very easy! It makes me happy. Now I’ve heard the argument that listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving will take away the focus of giving thanks which will ultimately catapult us into the stress that accompanies the Christmas season…blah blah blah!
The way I see it…November is to Christmas music like Cranberries are to oranges…they just go together! So let’s make a dish that combines some of my favorite holiday flavors into one irresistible Crumble Bar…totally worth a place in your Thanksgiving (or Christmas) spread…
We shall begin the way all great pies do and prep the filling…got to give these berries time to macerate! In a medium bowl combine the cranberries, orange juice, sugar and tapioca. Set aside for about 15 minutes to allow the mixture to release the juices.
Meanwhile, prepare the dough by sifting together your dry ingredients including- some flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then stir in the zest from the orange you juiced above. FYI- you are going to want to zest the orange BEFORE you juice it…otherwise you may have a bit of a conundrum on your hands…and everywhere else!
Using a fork or your fingers (my favorite kitchen tools) cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Don’t be shy, just dive into that dough with reckless abandon, pinching the butter and flour mixture till it becomes crumbly. Using a fork, stir in the egg as well until just combined and the dough is a crumbly texture.
Pour half of the dough into a 9×13 greased baking dish and press it into the bottom.
Take your fruity filling and pour to evenly distribute across the surface area of the pressed dough.
Scatter the remaining crumble evenly atop the fruity filling. Place in the oven and bake until golden brown.
The Cranberries are akin to Tart Cherries for this time of year…they are going to make you pucker (but in a good way) ! Add a touch of the sweet orange to balance the tartness of the cranberries and you will be on your way to having yourself a Merry Little Christmas…or a Happy Thanksgiving! Whatever floats your boat…
I know I can’t be alone in this debate…so who’s listening to Christmas Music? And what’s your holiday jam? Let me know in the comments below!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 Tbs instant tapioca
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish with a little grease.
- Sift together your dry ingredients in a medium bowl including: 1 cup sugar, 3 cups of flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the orange zest. Using your fingers or a fork cut in the butter then mix in the egg until a crumble dough forms. Pour half of the dough into the prepared baking dish and press into the pan.
- In a medium bowl toss together the cranberries, orange juice, sugar and tapioca until well combined. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes. Pour the cranberry mixture over the crust so that it covers the surface area evenly. Scatter the remaining crumbly dough over the cranberry mixture until it is all evenly distributed.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cut into equal square pieces and serve. These will last about 2-3 days.