Ginger Ale Carrots
As a veggie eater I have to confess that Carrots are NOT my favorite and unfortunately, that gene seems to have carried over to my son. I can still remember the face he made when I gave him pureed carrots for the first time as if to ask…”you guys actually eat this stuff?!”
Well my friends, today is a new day and this is a new way to prepare carrots that has literally rocked my world! Not to mention, my son couldn’t get enough of these…thank you Daphne Oz for a wonderful rendition of glazed carrots with orange, pecans and Ginger Ale…let me pause to take a moment here…wait for it
…wait for it…
…ok let’s do this thing!
While the oven is preheating to 400 degrees go ahead and toss your carrots with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Next thing I want you to do is sprinkle the zest of one orange and douse the entire mixture with its juice.
Orange and carrots were meant for each other…oh and ginger too! Speaking of which, go ahead and pour the carrot mixture into an oven proof skillet and pour in some ginger ale. Believe me friends, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but once I experienced the smell and flavors of this dish I knew it was going to be life changing.
Place the skillet in the oven and cook until fork tender. The glaze will reduce and the carrots vibrant color will begin to tempt you to devour the pan. Trust me…let it mellow for a bit so you don’t scald your poor taste buds…plus we have an outrageous topping to garnish this side that you would regret missing.
In a separate bowl mix together, the juice and zest of another orange, grated ginger, chopped toasted pecans and chopped parsley. Season generously with salt and pepper then sprinkle the topping over the gingery carrots!
Paired with the Pea Pesto Pasta, this dish will have others kissing the ground you walk on because you have a child who will actually eat vegetables and like them!
Well maybe not…but you are the queen of your kitchen and nobody can touch you…especially with this recipe in your arsenal!
Congrats Mom…you da’ bomb!
- 1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled and cut down to 2 inch pieces
- 4-5 tbs olive oil
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges divided
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- ½ cup ginger ale
- 1 tbs ginger finely minced
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- ¼ cup chopped parsley divided
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the carrots in the olive oil seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Douse the carrots with the zest and juice of one of the oranges and toss in the smashed garlic. Heat a large oven proof sauté pan over medium high heat. Arrange the carrots in one even layer in the pan, pour in the ginger ale and cook the carrots on the stove top till they start to color. Transfer the pan to the oven and allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- The glaze will reduce and the carrots will become fork tender- that is how you will know they are done. Remove them from the oven and set aside to cool slightly while you make the topping.
- In a small bowl mix together the pecans, remaining orange zest and juice, ginger and parsley. Season generously with salt and pepper then sprinkle the mixture all over the carrots. Delish!
Leave a Reply