Friday’s have totally become the unofficial “veg-out” days in our household. Especially since our little mister has come along.
I don’t even want to think about making plans to go out on Fridays…that’s what Saturday nights are for right? All I want to think about is lounging in my Pajamas, binge watching the shows on my hulu account and eating a big bowl of Meatball Marinara with a side of Garlic Herb Bread and a glass of wine or two.
All I have to say is “Thank God For Garlic Bread!”
Essentially we are going to make a pesto-like mixture to spread on slices of crusty bread. In the bowl of a food processor we pulse together garlic, basil, parsley, and cheese. Drizzle in some olive oil to create a paste and you have our herbal spread.
Go ahead and give each slice a good “Schmear” of the herbal mix. What’s great about this recipe is that its ingredients are open for interpretation. You could totally use different herbs in the blend like oregano or tarragon and even thyme…the possibilities are endless. Whatever your instincts tell you…go after it!
Toast the slices in the oven for about 15 minutes. The bread should feel toasty around the edges with a golden brown hue.
Sprinkle each toasted slice with Parmesan cheese and place underneath the broiler turned on high. Stay close by and wait for the cheese to melt. This happens very quick underneath the broiler. The Cheese is ready once it starts to turn brown.
This bread makes my mouth water just thinking about it. I could eat all four slices in one sitting, but we won’t because that would show a lack of self control. Regardless, this bread is the perfect partner for our Meatball Marinara and two “Big Girl” glasses of wine!
Time to kick back, relax and let the good times roll!! Have a spectacular weekend filled with the good stuff…friends, family and “The Mindy Project”…or reading- whatever you’re into!
See you Monday!
- ½ cup fresh Basil
- ½ cup fresh flat leaf Parsley
- 6 cloves Garlic
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese separated
- Crusty Bread of your choosing
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In the bowl of a food processer pulse together the basil, parsley, garlic and ½ cup of the parmesan cheese till finely chopped. Then with the food processer on add in the olive oil until it forms a thick paste.
- Slice your bread into ½ inch slices. To each slice, “schmear” on about 2 Tbs of the herb mix. Toast the bread slices in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. The bread will look toasty around the edges. Take the bread out of the oven.
- Sprinkle the rest of your parmesan cheese on top of each slice of bread. Turn your broiler on high and place your toasts back in the oven. Cook until the cheese has melted under the broiler. This will take about 1-2 minutes. **Do not leave the bread unattended…that’s how we get burnt toast.
- Serve immediately.