Garlic Lemon Pork
Date night…what’s that again? It once was an exciting event with dinners out and conversations over coffee and now it’s developed into ordering in while barely making it through the latest Leonardo DiCaprio film awake…WHAT HAPPENED? Whether it’s your financial situation or family situation there is no excuse, it’s time to reclaim those date nights we craved in our adolescent youth.
Honestly, as new parents, our time and our wallets have become a bit tight. So instead of scrounging for loose change underneath the sofa cushions, let’s make a meal that tastes like a million bucks…ready OK!
Let’s get started with the pork. In a shallow dish we are going to toss together the lemon zest, salt and pepper.
Season your pork with salt and pepper then toss in your flour mixture. Make sure the surface of the meat is completely covered. By adding the flour to the pork it’s going to dry the surface so we can get a nice crust. The flour also plays a part in thickening our pan sauce!
Shake off the excess flour. In a large skillet heat some olive oil and a tablespoon of butter on medium-high heat. In batches, cook the pork until browned and cooked through.
Now that we’ve cooked our pork, let’s make a pan sauce! Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic and YES, more butter to the skillet.
Cook until fragrant…this won’t take long at all. Add the broth to the garlicky butter bath and cook stirring until the mixture is reduced by half.
Remember that pork? Time to add it back in to the skillet along with some lemon slices. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
Finish the dish with a squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and a garnish of chives…VOILA!
Served with a side of mushy minty peas (recipe to come soon) and a glass (or two) of a crisp Sauvignon Blanc this dish will set the mood.
All that’s left is a great movie…anyone have any suggestions? Let me know below!
- ¼ cup of all purpose flour
- 2 lemons, 1 zested and juiced, 1 very thinly sliced
- 1 pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch slices and pounded to ¼ inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs unsalted butter divided
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 tbs of chives
- Place the flour in a shallow dish with the lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper, coat with the flour, and shake off the excess.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter on medium-high heat.
- In batches, cook the pork until browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic slices and butter to the skillet. Cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and cook, stirring until reduced by half, which will take about 4 minutes. Return the pork and its juices back into the skillet as well as the lemon slices.
- Cook until the sauce has thickened slightly about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the pan, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the chives on top.
Happy Date Night!