Cranberry Orange Krispie Treats
What is it about rice krispie treats that make us go bananas? It’s the perfect dessert, party favor and travel companion. Truth be told, in my younger years, I even preferred the store bought ones…you know, the kind that comes wrapped in that metallic blue wrapper. (sorry mom!)
But alas, the childhood treat we have all come to know and love is getting somewhat of a makeover today. Don’t worry I won’t go too crazy. If anything, I have got a few tricks up my sleeve that I have learned along the way to share which will elevate the flavor and make everyone in awe of your culinary expertise! (You’re welcome!)
Let’s start with a favorite seasonal combination of cranberries and orange! So CRISPY!
Take one cup of fresh cranberries and give them a rough chop. Pat them dry because wet berries and rice crispy cereal don’t mix…literally…in all seriousness you will have a hot mess on your hands. Sprinkle with some powdered sugar and orange zest then let your mix hang out while we get everyone ready.
Melted butter is amazing…BROWN BUTTER is LIFE-CHANGING! This is the secret to decadent krispie treats: melt your butter over medium heat and continue to cook until it transforms into a golden brown hue with a nutty smell. I will never make krispie treats the same way again…MIND-BLOWN!
Turn off the heat and melt a whole bag of marshmallows using the residual heat from our liquid gold. Once the marshmallows have melted completely, stir in the cranberry mixture until thoroughly combined. I can assure the smells coming from this pot will send your rice krispie craving into overdrive..we better hurry and finish this thing!
Stir in your crisp rice cereal PLUS a sprinkle of coarse sea salt. YES…I said sea salt…this is the secret to decadent krispie treats…wait a second, didn’t I just say that earlier? Let’s just say I gave you 2 secrets for the price of one recipe because seriously they make this dessert “outta sight!”
Press your mess of rice krispie and marshmallows into a 9inch pan and allow to cool. Slice into thick squares and dive in!
The texture of the crisp rice cereal is matched beautifully with the melted marshmallow and brown butter notes. Pockets of cranberries and orange burst with each bite giving a fruity zing and a lightly salty finish that I have really come to enjoy make these a REAL treat!
**COOK’S NOTE– I would serve these within 24-48 hrs as the cranberries may cause the surrounding cereal to become soggy…unless you’re into that sort of thing!
- 8 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 (10oz) package of marshmallows
- 1 cup cranberries chopped, pat dry
- 1 Tbs powdered sugar
- 1 orange zested (about 1 Tbs)
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- Pinch of coarse sea salt
- In a small bowl (or plate) sprinkle the sugar and orange zest over the chopped cranberries. Stir to evenly coat the cranberries then set aside till ready to use.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt the butter. Continue to stir the melted butter until it turns a deep golden brown color. Take off the heat and add the marshmallows. Stir until all of the marshmallows have melted from the residual heat of the browned butter. Stir in the cranberry mixture to the melted marshmallow. Toss in the crisp rice cereal and a pinch of salt then fold until combined. Pour the mixture into a greased 9 inch pan and press down using a greased sheet of wax paper so that the krispie treats are evenly spread out in the pan. Let cool and then serve.