Coconut Banana Bread
If I asked you what your top three smells were what would you say? Think about it. For me, hands down I would say, new car, charcoal grill, and Banana Bread! Right?! True story- when I was in high school my mother had this candle that smelled like banana bread. On paper, I am sure it was a great idea…what’s not a great idea…burning the candle, making the house smell like banana bread was baking in the oven only to find out it was all for not. Not cool!
Today we have a special treat that is COCO- NUTS not to share! Yup, that’s right folks- Banana Bread+ Coconut= Match made in heaven!
Let’s start by mixing together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Cinnamon is going to add a nice spice note to this bread which is heavenly.
In a medium bowl mash together the bananas, brown sugar and coconut milk. We want the coconut flavor to run all the way through this bread. It keeps it nice and moist too…
As if that weren’t decadent enough, now it’s time to mix in the egg and melted butter. We are not holding back no siree!
Now it’s time for the dry ingredients to meet the wet. I mix it together a little bit at a time so everything can get fully incorporated into the batter and not over mix.
Now time for MORE coconut- just fold the coconut flakes in gently like so. Coconut makes me a very happy girl!
Pour the batter into a greased bread pan. Then top it off with MORE coconut and turbinado sugar. This is going to amp the coconut flavor as well as giving the crust a wonderful, sugary crunch. Simply divine!
Bake the bread in a 400 degree for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The bread will be finished when it turns golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of it. Your house should smell wonderful at this point.
Once the bread is cool enough to handle, go ahead and slice yourself a piece, slather on some butter, and pair it with a cup of coffee. I assure you nothing else can cure the 3 o’clock blues like this lovely treat for all your senses!
So, I am curious- what are your top 3 favorite smells? Can’t blame a girl for being curious…let me know in the comments below!
- For the Bread:
- - 2 over ripe bananas
- - 1 lg egg
- - ½ cup of Coconut Milk
- - ½ cup of coconut flakes
- - 1 tsp of Vanilla
- - ½ tsp cinnamon
- - 1 cup of Brown Sugar
- - 6 Tbs of Butter melted and cooled
- - 2 Cups Flour
- - 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- - ½ tsp Salt
- For the topping
- - 3 Tbs Turbinado sugar
- - ¼ Cup of Coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- First begin by mixing your dry ingredients- Flour, Baking Soda, Salt and Cinnamon- in a large bowl. Mix till well blended and set aside.
- In a medium bowl smash the bananas together then add the brown sugar and coconut milk.
- Once blended, stir in the egg, vanilla and melted butter.
- Once the mixture is homogeneous begin to add the dry ingredients to the wet a little bit at a time.
- Once mixed together, fold in the coconut flakes a couple times. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into a greased bread pan then sprinkle the turbinado sugar and coconut flakes on top.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Bread is done when browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the bread.
- Slather on a little butter, brew yourself some coffee, sit back and sink your teeth into this luscious treat. It’s so good it’s coco-NUTS (see what I did there)!